About the Shire
- The Sutherland Shire encompasses a total land area of approx 370 square kilometres.
- Kurnell within the Sutherland Shire was the original landing place of Captain James Cook on 29th April 1770, making the Shire the birthplace of our modern nation.
- Cronulla is blessed with Sydney’s longest stretch of sand and is the only beach in Sydney accessible by train.
- The Sutherland Shire is home to the Royal National Park. Established in 1879 it is Australia’s first national park and the world’s second oldest national park – after Yellowstone in the USA.
- Many TV shows and movies have been filmed in the Shire including; Modern Family (2014), My Kitchen Rules (2013), Please Marry My Boy (2012), Puberty Blues (1981/ 2012), Biggest Loser (2011), Underbelly (2010), Australia’s Next Top Model (2008), The Square (2008), White Collar Blue (2002/2003), Superman Returns (2003-2004) and Muriels Wedding (1995).
- The Shire is also the stomping ground of quite a few celebrities; Andrew Ettingshausen, Lara Bingle, Lee Furlong, Matt Corby, Adam Hills, Tahyna and Cheyanne Tozzi, Daniel McPherson, Donna Hay, Mark “Occy” Occhilupo , Warren Brown, Kathy Lette, as well as the band members from Amy Meredith and Tiger Town.